The Golden Acorn Book Review


The Golden Acorn by Catherine Cooper

Jack Brenin is The One.

Well, Camelin doesn't think so. But as the story progresses Jack just might prove him wrong.

The Golden Acorn follows Jack Brenin as he prepares for the bravest thing he has ever done in his life. In order to save the Hamadryad and the forests, Jack must learn to fly so he can enter the window of time.

I enjoyed this story. It was very simplistic with easy to understand problems and solutions. Some readers may find it too easy. I kept waiting for something to go horribly wrong because that is what current books and movies prepare us for. But I thought is was quaint that it did not get too "tragic" especially in regards to the target audience.

I could easily see Judi Dench as Nora or Freddie Highmore as Jack (well when he was younger). The characters are distinct and have, well character. Camelin is consistent and endearing. I enjoyed the array of creatures and how they interacted with the main characters.

The setting is magical and entertaining without going too far out there. Like I mentioned before, it's very simplistic in its construction. The majority of the story takes place in Nora's immense garden.

The dialog is easy to follow and has bits of humor in it.

The quest is built up quite nicely, however, the actual conclusion is a little quick. I realize now that it is a series. The ending does leave it open-ended enough to continue or to stop here. I think I will stop here for now. I'm a bit fatigued with all the series that are out. Are there any stand alone books anymore?

I do recommend this book for ages 8 and up.

Rating 4/5

More reviews at www.cheresevinescharmingwords.wordpress.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dawn Colclasure Guest Post

Tricia Stewart Shiu Guest Post

Blogariffic Blog Hop Information Post!